Frequently Asked Questions
These are some questions frequently asked by patients in regards to their care. For any questions left unanswered please feel free to email or call our office!
What is an adjustment?
An adjustment is a gentle correction of a subluxation or misalignment of a spinal vertebra. When a vertebra becomes malpositioned a number of things occur. The disc is wedged between two abnormally positioned vertebrae and becomes compressed and protruded or in extreme cases, herniated. This causes nerve roots or other soft tissue to become pinched, crushed, and irritated. The body responds with muscle spasms, inflammation of soft tissue, pain, and restricted movement. The problem is the misalignment and not all of the symptoms which result, so it is the problem that must be addressed.
How can Chiropractic enhance my overall health?
When a subluxation occurs the whole body is affected. It only makes sense that if a nerve from the spinal cord is being pinched by a vertebra the resulting decrease or increase of nerve flow could affect organs or muscles. When you irritate a nerve you tend to feel pain, which is 20% of the nerve's job. When a nerve is damaged you tend to not feel anything considering 80% of our nerves control function. Chiropractic is here to fix the problem, which is the subluxation.
What is Cusano Chiropractic's solution?
Spinal manipulation is the only treatment that will permanently correct a spinal misalignment. Cusano Chiropractic takes an all natural approach when it comes to the health of our patients. The medical handling for pain, muscle spasms, and inflammation are usually pain relievers, muscle relaxants, and anti-inflammatories. A chemical solution applied to the symptoms of a structural problem will never handle the problem itself even if it does tend to sometimes lessen symptoms. We use ice therapy, stretching, massage, ultrasound, natural supplements, and most importantly the Chiropractic adjustment itself.
What should I expect on my first visit?
- After being welcomed to our office you will be asked to fill out a new patient form in order to provide us with your health history and more information on your condition.
- You will then meet with Dr. Domenic Cusano for a consultation in order to determine if you are a Chiropractic patient. The consultation is designed to address any problems or concerns you might have.
- Next you will receive a comprehensive physical and neurologic examination. This involves physical tests to determine your range of motion, muscle strength, and flexibility.
- Depending on your individual case, in-office x-rays may be taken and reviewed.
- Once it has been determined that Chiropractic can help your particular case, you will be treated four to five times over a ten day period to evaluate your individual response to Chiropractic care.
- After the ten-day treatment period, a report of findings will take place which includes a review of the x-rays taken on day one. The Doctor then designs a wellness program specifically for you. You, the patient, will then decide what type of care you prefer going forward. Every new patient desires pain relief, understandably, but Dr. Cusano always recommends full correction of the problem as well as continued periodic care to maintain the maximum level of health that has been attained. The choice is yours.